If you've recently scheduled a maternity session, chances are you're feeling super excited to document this time with your spouse! Maternity sessions are such a unique way to show your kids how much you loved and adored them - before they even arrived. My girls love to see pictures of me when I was pregnant with them. I truly wish I had more to share with them, which is another reason I'm passionate about maternity photography.
If you're wanting to absolutely -rock- your maternity session, here are five quick tips to help!
1. Time it right! Every Mom is different, but around week 28-32 is a good time to schedule a maternity session. Depending on how you feel going into the 3rd trimester, you might want earlier. Ultimately, you know you're body best - so chat with your photographer about what works best for you!
2. Location, location, location. Choose a location that compliments your style and overall family 'vibe'. You might be drawn to an open field at sunset, the beach, forest, downtown street, or your own home. If you hate the feel of sand on your toes (or it's mid-January) than the beach might not be your ideal location. Work with your photographer and brainstorm some of your own suggestions!
3. Treat yo'self! When you feel good about yourself - that confidence shines through in images. I'm a big advocate of having professional hair and makeup down for maternity sessions. That extra polish to bring out your natural beauty will have you feeling fabulous! Or, you could opt for a pedicure (since you can't really reach your toes anymore!) or having a friend curl your hair. Whatever works for you, your budget and helps you feel your best - is a win!
4. Take an outfit test drive. Shortly before your session, have a quick fashion show in your favorite maternity session outfit options. Have a trusted friend or your spouse (if he can be trusted, lol!) to give you any last minute tips. Do you need to add jewelry or a pop of color? Narrow down your choices and get everything prepped for photo day!
5. Date your spouse! On picture day, keep everything low stress. Love on your husband and be excited for this bonus date night together before baby's arrival! Schedule dinner for after the session or pick up ice cream on the way home. Make it more about spending an evening out together than a formal picture day where everything has to be perfect. That joy and ease will translate beautifully into your final images!
Wishing you a fabulous pregnancy, Momma! ;)